Pages

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Real Men Eat Quiche

I made a ham and cheese quiche for dinner tonight and yes, my husband ate it!  It just goes to prove that the saying "real men don't eat quiche" is quite untrue.  Who came up with that saying, anyways?  This quiche recipe is from my mom and it's totally foolproof!  


Tasty Ham and Cheese Quiche
Ingredients
pastry for one pie crust (see recipe below)
2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
1 small can Hormal ham, flaked
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper


Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  If making pastry from scratch, prepare crust.  Place in pie pan and prick with fork.  Bake for 8-10 minutes.  Layer cheese, then ham.  Thoroughly beat eggs and milk together, then add the salt and pepper.  Pour filling over ham.  Bake quiche in oven for 1 hour.  Cover with aluminum foil if edges begin to get too brown.  Remove from oven and let it cool for 5-10 minutes before cutting and serving.  Cheesy, yummy goodness.  Enjoy!


I think I posted my pie crust recipe before, but here it is again.  It is super easy!


Pie Crust
2 c. all-purpose flour (I use White Lily)
1 tsp. salt

1/2 c. canola oil 
6 Tbsp. water


Mix flour and salt.  Add water to the oil, then pour mixture all at once into the dry ingredients.  Stir to combine.  Roll out between 2 sheets of wax paper.  This recipe makes enough for two pie crusts.  Also, you may have to adjust the amount of water depending on what brand of flour you are using...I have found that different kinds vary.  I like White Lily the best because I think it yields the flakiest crust!


I also tried out a new recipe for potato soup with dinner tonight.  It's from Cooking Light magazine.  It was very good!  I actually found it on another blog - www.handletheheat.com.  Here's the link: http://www.handletheheat.com/2010/10/lightened-loaded-potato-soup.html.  I threw in some steamed broccoli (not in the soup, but on the table) and we were good to go!  A simple, warm-you-up kind of meal.  


And, since it is fall and I love baking with pumpkin, I made some pumpkin spice muffins.  These are easy, easy, easy.  Did I say that they are easy?  AND delicious.  The most beloved ingredient in this recipe?  An entire bag of Hershey's cinnamon chips!  Here's the recipe:


Pumpkin Spice Muffins
Ingredients
1 box spice cake mix (I prefer Duncan Hines)
1 can pumpkin (Libby's!)
1 bag cinnamon chips
1/2 c. water


Combine all ingredients well and divide batter among muffin cups.  It's that simple!  Really!  Makes 2 dozen regular muffins or 4 dozen mini-muffins (which my kids love).  Can you see the cinnamon chips???






Until next time,
Muncho Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment