Pages

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Autumn Eating

Tonight I am fixing some butternut squash that we grew in our very own garden!  Usually I roast it in the oven, or make butternut squash soup (delicious with sliced bartlett pears), but tonight I am trying a new recipe that's not complicated at all.  


Sweet Autumn Chicken

Ingredients
  • 20 ounces fresh or frozen cubed butternut squash
  • 4 cubed Golden Delicious apples
  • 4 frozen chicken cutlets
  • 1 cup apple cider
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • Salt and pepper
Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Microwave the cubed butternut squash until slightly soft — 6 minutes for fresh, 10 to 12 minutes for frozen.
  2. Toss the squash with the cubed apples on a baking sheet and arrange the chicken cutlets on a second sheet.
  3. Make a glaze by reducing the apple cider in a saucepan over high heat for 10 minutes. Remove it from the heat and whisk in the butter and salt and pepper to taste.
  4. Pour half the glaze over the squash mixture. Bake the squash mixture on the oven's upper rack and the chicken on the lower rack until the cubes are tender and the chicken is warmed through, about 15 minutes.
  5. Serve each cutlet atop the squash and apples, drizzled with the remaining glaze.

    I actually won't be doing the chicken cutlets...instead, I have a turkey breast ready to go in the oven.  So, I am just doing the butternut squash/golden delicious apples as a side dish.  I think it will be delicious!  I'm also going to do peas and mashed potatoes.  Should be the perfect comfort food for this rainy day!

    I went on my usual trek to the grocery store this morning and was thrilled to find honeycrisp apples for 69 cents a pound on the reduced rack!  What a deal!  These are some of the tastiest apples and if you have never tried them, you really should.  My kids love 'em!  

    As for the kid's snack this afternoon when they get home from school, I'm trying to decide between these two ideas:


















    Aren't they cute???
    Muncho Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment