Pages

Monday, October 24, 2011

Back to Beans!

Another Monday and only a week left in the month of October? Good grief!  Where did the time go?


Last week I added an Italian flair to our meatless dinner by making homemade cheese calzones and a side dish of pasta with vegetables.  Today, it's back to beans!  I am making pinto beans, corn muffins, roasted potatoes, green beans, and mac and cheese.  May throw in some spinach too.  The roasted potatoes and green beans are leftover from Thursday night's dinner, which was a pot roast.  I used a recipe from The Pioneer Woman.  It was very savory and delicious, but alas, the meat did not get as tender as I had hoped.  Next time: cook for 5-6 hours instead of 3-4!  It was still good, but I guess I had high hopes.  At least it was not a total failure.  I've never cooked a roast with fresh herbs before and it really made a difference!


Look at my beautiful pot roast!


If you want to try it yourself, follow this link for the recipe: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/09/2008_the_year_of_the_pot_roast/


Anyways, tonight I'm hoping to try out a new recipe for corn muffins from The Martha Stewart Cookbook.


Corn Muffins
1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 T. baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups milk
1 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled
2 eggs, slightly beaten


Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Butter the muffin tins you will be using.  Combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.  Mix the milk, butter, and eggs together in a medium bowl.  Stir the milk mixture into the cornmeal mixture just until moistened.  Spoon the batter into the muffin tins.  Bake until golden, 14-16 minutes.  Let cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes.  Remove from pans and let cool completely.  Makes 36 1 1/4 inch muffins.
I'll let you know how they turn out!


Until next time,
Muncho Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment