Pages

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Have you ever eaten Swiss chard?

Yes, folks, that is the topic tonight...Swiss chard!  Have you ever eaten it?  Have you ever grown it?  Here's what it looks like:


Well, my dad has it growing in his garden, and he shared some with us.  This, of course, was after he had fixed it for dinner while we were visiting, and I had raved about how good it was.  And it really was!  The trick is my dad's secret ingredient....MAPLE SYRUP.  That's right, maple syrup!  Just add in a wee bit and you are good to go.  The chard ends up tasting delicious, with just a hint of sweetness.  Oh, and throw in some red onion while you cook it, too.  Yum!  And look at how colorful it is!


Here's the somewhat unofficial recipe, because truly, you can make it anyway you like!  However, this is what I recommend:
1 T. olive oil
1/2 of a red onion, sliced 
a big bunch of Swiss chard ('cause once they cook down, you're not left with much!)
1 T. maple syrup (or less...or more)
salt to taste


Saute red onion in the olive oil.  While the red onion cooks, chop up the chard.  Be sure to wash it first! Add the chard to the pan and continue to cook over medium heat until desired level of doneness.  Add maple syrup and stir to combine.  Add salt to taste.  Serve warm.


Some of you may like your greens cooked to death, but I like them a little more firm as opposed to squishy.  So, I would say the total cooking time was no more than 15 minutes.  It was so good, my 7 year old son even ate a whole serving!  So, try it....and I hope you like it as much as I do!




Until next time,
Muncho Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment