Pages

Monday, October 3, 2011

Lazy Sunday Afternoons

Oh how I love a good, lazy Sunday afternoon!  An added bonus yesterday was a youth fundraising lunch after church.  Yippee!  That meant I could actually come home from church and relax instead of hastily putting lunch together while my starving children whine that they are so hungry they could eat a horse.  News flash: I could too!  At least they get a snack in Sunday School...while us grown-ups do not.   Woe is me!


Anyways, that afternoon the kids were watching TV, so I thought it was the perfect time for reading the Sunday paper and doing some meal planning (after perusing the grocery store ads, of course).  My children had other plans.  Just as I sat down, Grace asked for an apple to eat.  An apple?!?  This, from my child who hardly ever eats apples?  Thomas, on the other hand, usually eats one a day (he gets that from me).  Anyways, I get up to fix her an apple (she requested "no peeling please" and I happily oblige).  No sooner have I sat back down then Thomas says, "Can I have an apple too?"  Didn't I know this was coming?  Up I go, once again, except this time it is easier because Thomas eats the peeling, so all I do is slice the apple and sit back down once more.  Five minutes later, Grace says, "Can I please have another apple?"  I look at her bowl and indeed, it is empty!  Off I go to the kitchen, returning with more apple.  Back to the newspaper and the task at hand.  Several more minutes pass and I once again hear the request, "Can I have some more apple please?"  Yes, in the time span of 30 minutes, my 2 children have eaten a total of 4 apples!  Grace ate 3 of them all by her tiny self!  This is quite amusing to me.  And, after 30 minutes, it is also time to turn off the TV and go outside.  And my meal planning?  Incomplete.


I dislike going into a new week with no meals planned, either on paper or at least in my head.  It makes me feel discombobulated for some reason.  So, I sit here now trying to find some new ideas for meals this week.  My kids have their favorites, but sometimes I just get in a rut.  If you have any kid-friendly meals to recommend, please send some recipes my way!!!


As for tonight, I had some homemade calzones in the freezer, so I've pulled those out to thaw and have for dinner.  In addition, I am going to try a new soup.  It's called Tuscan Chickpea Soup and it is from Cooking Light.  I love that magazine!  I also love chickpeas, so I hope it is good.


Tuscan Chickpea Soup
2 tablespoons olive oil

  • 2 cups finely chopped onion
  • garlic cloves, minced
  • 4 cups water
  • 1 teaspoon minced fresh or 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • (15 1/2-ounce) cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
  • (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
  • to 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 6 tablespoons (1 1/2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
  • Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in the water and the next 5 ingredients (water through tomatoes), and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes.
  • Place 2 cups soup in a blender or food processor, and process until smooth. Pour the pureed soup into a bowl. Repeat procedure with 2 cups soup. Return all pureed soup to pan. Stir in the vinegar, and bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Spoon 1 1/2 cups soup into each of 6 bowls; sprinkle each serving with 1 tablespoon cheese.
Grace is our soup-eater.  Thomas, not so much.  Thus, the calzones.  I hope he is happy. J

Until next time,
Muncho Mom


No comments:

Post a Comment