Pages

Monday, November 7, 2011

Chocolate Pound Cake

Today, my one and only creation in the kitchen (other than cheesy scrambled eggs for my son at breakfast - but I'm not sure that really counts) was a chocolate pound cake.  I baked it for a cake walk at the Fall Festival for my children's school.  I thought, "Oh, a pound cake will be easy..."  After all, you don't even have to frost a pound cake, just drizzle some glaze on it and you're good to go, right?  Although this recipe is straightforward, is still took me longer than I had hoped.  And sadly, I can't even say how it tasted (the batter was great!) since I didn't get to eat it.  This recipe is another one from my mom!


Chocolate Pound Cake
2 sticks butter, softened
3 cups sugar
3 cups flour
1/2 cup shortening
5 eggs
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
5 T cocoa
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla


Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Grease and flour bundt pan.  Cream sugar, shortening, and butter.  Add eggs one at a time.  Sift dry ingredients.  Add to other mixture alternately with milk.  Add vanilla.  Bake for one hour.  Let cool on wire rack for 15 minutes before removing cake from pan.  


Boy, I must say that I breathed a huge sigh of relief when the cake came out of the pan fully intact.  That's always a gamble in my book.  Any kind of glaze will do here, really.  I used some vanilla buttercream frosting that I had leftover from my son's birthday cake!  I used the ribbon tip on my icing bag and it worked like a charm.  A sprinkle of sanding sugar on top added a nice touch, too.  Almost sadder than the fact that I didn't get to eat any of the cake is the fact that I forgot to take a picture of it!  Can I blame that on sleep deprivation?  My sweet daughter has been sick since Saturday, but her temperature was finally back to normal this afternoon, so hopefully things are looking up.


Until next time,
Muncho Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment